Thursday 30 May 2013

And some more bits and pieces...

This is a somewhat random post, for since my return from my lovely visit to Belgium, being tired, I fell foul of some mutating bug that gave me flu and assorted similar ailments and has, even now, left my energy levels low, but to misquote John Paul Jones, ''We wont give up the ship...yet!'' Grin. Or should that be gibbous grin?

But, it has been a while, so here in no particular order are some more pictures to look at from the present and the past.

The following were done for a Le Grimoire book project. That is three were, as one was deemed unsuitable to meet the text, but I show it off anyway.




Some old hand fans might realise one of these is a sort of reworking of an older piece I did for another book.

Now a few older pieces. First a Zombie Knight.

'Updated' version of an older piece


A 'new' version of Zagor the Warlock, but the next will be even more different.





Above we have an old three page annual job done in the early 1980's for D.C. Thomson. I've added it here for those interested in technique really, as it is all done with an inked brush. I would like to add that I was not responsible for the colour choice or the job that was added to the original B/W art.

Lastly, some work for Luke Crane and Thor Ovalsrud's new Torchbearer project.




 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burningwheel/torchbearer/posts

There will be a fourth full page piece, which is 'in the works' along with some newer work for the Summer.

So, till the next time ...

4 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous but I especially like the cityscapes, first image has interesting perspective and leads me as viewer like I would be secretly observing the two people meeting on the alley and hustle and bustle of urban life is evident in man dragging the cart in background. The "Escher" dragons for a lack of better name coming out of the woodwork and stones suggest a really weird fantasy setting if they are meant as literal dragons popping out walls but I get this feeling they might as imply a trouble afoot and mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I add but thank you Jonas; you've picked up my pictorial intent which I pleased to read even if that was not the intention in the text [apparently] thus the two 'versions'.

      Delete
  2. Hello Russ,

    For curing those mutanting belgian bug, have you tried a belgian beer as remedy ?
    More seriously, I wish you will soon get rid off this flu and feel much better...

    Thank you for sharing your artwork ! The "unsuitable" drawings are not useless in so far as they are true pleasure for our eyes... !

    I think the reworking drawing is from the bloodsword book number 4 ("doomwalk" or in french "l'impossible mission"), isn't it ? I really appreciate this drawing and the way you represent the tall grass. I studied it closely (should I say I copied you ?) to draw such grass in a recent centaurs illustration ^^

    Your last drawings (in long format for tochbearer project) are really awesome ! I just hope a french version is planned...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emmanuel, I must come to the defence of Belgium in regard to bugs as it was an English strain that brought me low a few days after my return [or someone on the train lol]. Belgium, well at least its people, and those I've met there, have given me nothing but friendship, and I agree good beer!

      I have to add, in regard to the Blood sword pastiche it was a request by the client rather than my desire to be so blatant in re-creating the picture. But I'm glad you both liked it and found it of use ;).

      Pleased you liked the Torchbearer work and can only add, wait till you see the latest ... showing the adventures in dire peril!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.